You know you need a break from Afghanistan when…
– you no longer bother to clean weevils from your porridge.
– you hum the Call to Prayer as a little song
– you become unreasonably angry when Afghans park their cars in the middle of intersection
– a 7.0 earthquake strikes and you don’t even bother getting up
– you no longer get angry when Afghans park their cars in the middle of an intersection, in fact its kind of cute.
– you take sleeping tablets to get through the night
– there is small arms fire and explosions on the nearby hill and you don’t even look up, or call it in as a security concern.
– bits fall off your car and you don’t bother to put them back on.
– you call ‘a visit to Bush Bazaar’ an outing.
– the cracks in your heels begin to look like a section of the Grand Canyon
– you can no longer be bothered to go to Bush Bazaar
– you start parking your car in the middle on an intersection
– the sleeping tablets don’t work
– you reattach the terminals to your car battery with a hammer and nails
– you know longer call your wife by her name, but refer to her as, ‘Mother of my children’
– you hum the icecream man’s tune as a little song
– others hum along with you
Well, it is more than a break we are taking. I don’t have it in me to write more at present, but the above gives you some idea of where things were at. I will follow this up soon.